COVID-19 – update from IFOMPT
Dear IFOMPT Family,
A year and a bit into the pandemic, IFOMPT, like many of you, continues to closely monitor the COVID-19 situation and especially the rollout of vaccines across the world. We were sad to have to postpone the 2020 Melbourne Conference and are very proud of our Melbourne Team who have rallied and rescheduled to September 2022.
IFOMPT looks forward to seeing you at our upcoming conference in Melbourne. We are optimistic that this crisis will be contained sufficiently in time to assure safe travel and conference participation in September 2022.
Physical Therapists are encouraged to continue to do their part to keep their employees, patients, students, and themselves healthy. As the impact of the COVID-19 continues to evolve, IFOMPT will continue to share general information and provide updates on possible impacts to the IFOMPT community.
We know that you will be aware of your own national guidance on the prevention of COVID-19, but we would like to reinforce this general message:
Similar to Influenza and other coronaviruses, COVID-19 illness varies from very mild to severe with high-risk individuals (older adults and those with pre-existing/chronic medical or compromised immune systems) being more likely to suffer severe episodes.
IFOMPT recommends that everyone continue to follow simple, yet effective, everyday prevention practices that remain the best way to control all communicable diseases:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing;
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%-95% alcohol;
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands;
- Stay home when you are sick;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash; and,
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning product.